Tuesday, November 17, 2009

bread & such

bread is a way of life.

Challah.
Comes from the jewish word for "offering"
Special kind of bread used for holidays.
It is a very sweet, golden, eggy bread.
The sesame seeds represent the "manna" given to the Isrealites when they wandered in the desert for 40 years.

two braid:
challah two braid

three braid:
challah three braid

six braid:
challah six braid

after I braided, I have some extras dough.

I did the logical thing and made some challah rolls:

challah roll with seeds

challah roll



LOOK! its a tasteful blend of spices:

spices on flour

used to make chai bagels:

Plain Chai Bagel


with brown sugar and sugar on top:

Chai Bagel w. Brown Sugar Sugar

and with cinnamon sugar on top:

Chai Bagel w. Cinnamon Sugar


these bagels were an invention straight out of my head. I am proud of them!

and now the regular bagels:

Plain:

Plain Bagel

Sea Salt:

Sea Salt Bagel

Sea Salt Bagel airel

Everything:

Everything Bagel

Herb:

Herb Bagel

Poppyseed:

Poppyseed Bagel

Sesame Seeds:

Sesame Seed Bagel

and lastly, English Muffins:

English Muffins

A couple of nights ago, Charles and I enjoyed a tasty dinner.





Chicken stuffed with Thyme & Rosemary, garlic, lemon, and herb butter that I made prior.
Dried the chicken, sprinkled with salt and pepper & olive oil.
Placed carrots & brussel sprouts around the chicken and covered.
Baked for 2 hrs @ 350.




Boiled Squash in vegetable stock with Thyme.

And we paired it with a 2007 Steel Creek Pinot Nior:
this is what we had to say about it.


I find that my dinner photography is severely lacking. Why? because after prepping, cooking, placing, and garnishing I am hungry. I really just want to eat my food and not photograph it. However I am getting better about taking pictures of it, even if they are less than at least there is some sort of visual representation.


Last night, Charlie and I celebrated our FOUR MONTHS of marriage!

What did we do? SUSHI of course.

We went to Ru-Sans in Buckhead. Sushi was average, nothing special. There were loads of roll variations at a bargain price. The real treat though was the view from the second story windows.


I finally finished Kitchen Confidential - It was everything that I thought it was going to be and more. I feel like I inherited indispensable chef knowledge, something that because I have chosen to be, I am entitled.

:) oh happy morning.

- time for class.


2 comments:

Jennie said...

I know what you mean about photographing food after all that prepping etc..! At times it's the last thing I want to do! Your pictures are lovely however! Keep up the good work!

Congratulations on 4 months of marriage!!

Meag said...

Hey thanks for following my blog =). I like yours its cute! very cool pics